Re: Fedora 12 installing

--- On Wed, 3/10/10, Andres Felipe Acosta Gil <pipeacosta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> thanks for the response, the image is
> fedora-12-i686-live, and here is the information about the
> specs:
> Laptop Toshiba Satellite U505, x64-based
> PCIntel core i3 processor @2.13 GHz
> SMBIOS 2.6 versionRAM=4Gb

I've always had problems with the graphics (X-server) part of Fedora Live CDs.  Black screen.  The CD doesn't have the correct driver, doesn't recognize the graphics card/chip, improper X configuration, etc.  For this reason I don't use Live CDs for installs.

Try 'ctrl-alt-backspace' key combination (this will kill the X-server) after the black screen appears.  If you are dropped back to a usable commandline terminal, then it's an X problem.  Use a full install DVD.  Takes a while to download, but it's worth it:  more drivers.

Also, be aware that with the 32-bit (i686) versions of Fedora, you won't have access to all 4GB of RAM due to limits of the 32-bit addressing unless you use the PAE kernel.  You'd be better off using the 64-bit Fedora instead.