Re: partition customization ....how do I ???

On Thursday 04 March 2010, Craig White wrote:
>On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 23:20 +0100, birger wrote:
>> We old-timers must not forget that times are a-changing. Hardware
>> evolves. Old truths die. We must never think that just because we had
>> the answers yesterday we still have them today.
>>
>> Me, I think that keeping my system simple enough that I can upgrade
>> often gives me better performance than trying to tweak everything. Let
>> there be as few surprises for the updates as possible.
>
>----
>this is especially funny considering that you are saying this to Gene,
>the master of 'if it worked for him once, it will always be true' and
>'overthink, overtinker, overreach every possible configuration option
>and then bitch and moan about the problems that it creates down the
>road'.
>
>We are talking about the guy who builds everything as root, runs
>everything including GUI as root, builds from tarballs and never
>packages rpm's, compiles vanilla kernels without the redhat patches,
>etc., uses samba instead of nfs to share files but still claims to not
>use anything Windows, and as evidenced upthread, will spend endless
>hours tinkering with partitioning because of self perceptive speed
>improvements (no empirical tests mind you) and without bothering to
>check if his hard drive is actually jumpered for the highest speed.
>
>Thanks for the laugh
>
>Craig

And believe it or not, I am glad you are amused.  But the funny part is that
I haven't installed the latest way too small cages for my lab rats, and I
haven't just spent 2 weeks making audio work again, if I could, some here
probably give up and go watch the tube, and I am absolutely ecstatic that I
no longer use an nvidia video card in any of my boxes, the last old, dusty
and positively decrepit 4 meg TNT died last fall.  I do have dreams that
someday I can install a fresh reddish hat and it will just work.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.
		-- Patton