Re: partition customization ....how do I ???

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 10:35 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> What disk docs?  The only thing they put in the box these days is the legal
> disclaimers. As for the bios, well, its an ASUS, what can I say.  The latest
> bios update took 3 burns before it worked right.

Most resellers only push OEM-packaged disks, as customers want them
cheap. OEM means it's packaged for customers who don't need the manual.
You have to download it yourself. No big problem, is it?

> First error, recommending DD.  It will not allow a /boot partition to exceed
> 199 megabytes.  My present, and fully functional /boot is 400. And its 56%
> used.  I should to some housekeeping I guess. Delete the old 2.6.32 kernels,
> they are so old hat in 2010.

I just installed RHEL 5.4 today. It let me set up a 400MB /boot without
any problem. I have never had any problem tweaking /boot to any desired
size.

> It will not allow swap to be the next partition, in order to put it on a
> faster area of the disk.  To DD, swap must be on the center of the disk, its
> slowest possible position.  I could go on, but its coals to newcastle on this
> list.

That depends on how your system uses swap. I prefer mine not to. Just
add enough memory :-) If you must swap, get a nice SSD drive for that.

> Some folks forget that not all of us are escapees from the M$ camp.  I was
> carving code for an RCA 1802 in the late 70's, and by the mid-80's had
> 'graduated' to a multi-user, multi-tasking os, writing what I needed in
> several languages including assembly.

We old-timers must not forget that times are a-changing. Hardware
evolves. Old truths die. We must never think that just because we had
the answers yesterday we still have them today.

Me, I think that keeping my system simple enough that I can upgrade
often gives me better performance than trying to tweak everything. Let
there be as few surprises for the updates as possible.

On my netbooks, F11 and F12 have been definitive improvements over F10.
On my far more powerful laptop with SSD the readahead stuff took the
time from grub starts until login screen is ready to < 10 seconds. Thats
faster than vista wakes from hibernation on the same hardware.

I prefer spending my energy going forward instead of fighting old bugs.

birger