Re: Setting GDM Login Screen Background

John:
>> Seems to still work for me. Try putting your desired background image
>> in /usr/share/backgrounds someplace if you haven't maybe.

Sawrub:
> I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
> /usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
> picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
> no success.

Looking through this thread, it seems that people might be forgetting a
few things:

GDM runs as a special user, therefore it can't read YOUR files, by
default.  If your homespace hasn't got world-readable permissions on
directories and the image file you want it to use, it can't read it.  It
may also need word-executable directories, and certain SELinux contexts.

If you put the image file somewhere else (than your homespace), the same
things apply.  It'd be no good putting a file that only your username
can read into /usr/share/backgrounds/.

Look at the files that GDM uses by default, put yours in a similar
location, and give yours the same permissions and SELinux contexts.

I haven't done any customising with Fedora 12 yet, but that technique
has worked with prior releases.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686