Re: Setting GDM Login Screen Background

On 02/23/2010 05:07 AM, Tim wrote:
> John:
>
>>> Seems to still work for me. Try putting your desired background image
>>> in /usr/share/backgrounds someplace if you haven't maybe.
>>>

> Sawrub:
>
>> I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
>> /usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
>> picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
>> no success.
>>
> Looking through this thread, it seems that people might be forgetting a
> few things:
>
> GDM runs as a special user, therefore it can't read YOUR files, by
> default.  If your homespace hasn't got world-readable permissions on
> directories and the image file you want it to use, it can't read it.  It
> may also need word-executable directories, and certain SELinux contexts.
>
> If you put the image file somewhere else (than your homespace), the same
> things apply.  It'd be no good putting a file that only your username
> can read into /usr/share/backgrounds/.
>
> Look at the files that GDM uses by default, put yours in a similar
> location, and give yours the same permissions and SELinux contexts.
>
> I haven't done any customising with Fedora 12 yet, but that technique
> has worked with prior releases.

Thats seems something toughtfull, all above were kind of hacks, but i do
appriciate their help too. Going by this it seems that the "Set Default"
button does the same with the image that we desire to put there but
since its not working it seems like a config issue as its working for
other people. I too was happy with it under F11 [i386], the fresh
install of F12[x86_64] broke it atleast for me.

Would be better to play around with configuration of "Appearance
Preferences > Background". Can some one tell me, what package to play
around with for it.Googling does not help much.Can something be done
here using Gconf configuration editor.

--

Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644