Re: How the H&*()*) do I turn auto numbering in OO Writer completely OFF ?

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 21:08 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> What really rips me off is that this auto numbering "stuff" has been
> going on for YEARS in a predictable cycle.  Use Writer for bit, find
> numbering to be irritating.  Do a web search to try to figure out how
> to turn it off.  Turn off some obscure switch hidden 18 layers deep in
> the GUI.  Use it for a while.  Upgrade to a newer version.  Watch some
> new silly auto numbering scheme appear.  Do a web search for how to
> turn it off... it continues. WHEN WILL IT STOP ?

The method for turning it off hasn't changed in the years I've been
using OpenOffice, so once learnt, it's easy enough to re-do with the
then choose your preferred "Options" in the configuration window that
pops up.

Yes, I turn these things off, too.  I like automatic features for things
that I can't easily do from the keyboard (like use proper punctuation,
because the keyboard doesn't have the symbols for it).  But some of the
features do turn out to be really annoying.

One of my peeves about auto-numbering is that it's two simplistic.  I
can't recall a word processor that will let me write up numbered
sections on a page, and let one (or more) of those sections be more than
one paragraph in length.  Take a legal document, for instance, such as a
contract, you're not just numbering paragraphs (which is all /it/ wants
to let you do), you're numbering sections.  A section could have any
number of paragraphs.  You're left with having to do it all manually,
including changing all the margins.  Which gets quite painful when you
don't have a copy and paste feature for the formatting alone (copy the
formatting, don't copy/replace the text).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.