Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 22:03 +0000, BeartoothHbsk wrote:
> 	I also prefer Fedora -- and currently have Omega Linux running of
> an EeePC 701, which is about the smallest and slowest of netbooks. Omega
> seems to me to be very effectively "Fedora For Netbooks" -- and that
> makes me wonder, after reading all this thread so far, whether I need
> bother paying attention to MeeGo.

I have had a quick look at the moblin user interface on a netbook (since
you can install it from the fedora repos), and I quickly went back to
gnome/cairo-dock.

I think the other part of the merger is far more interesting.

After all; Who has seen a moblin device? Where can you buy one? Maemo
devices have been around for years. It was originally a tablet OS for a
range of Nokia tablets, but the last one (N900) is a cell phone. A Nokia
cellphone running a real linux with X-windows and gnome. The user
interface is of course completely different, but Nokia did the right
thing. They developed it as a new interface on top of gnome and gave it
to the gnome foundation. The next generation (MeeGo) will be redone in
QT instead. Not sure I like that move but it is understandable since
Nokia owns QT, and they now have QT up on Symbian as well. I would love
to get a N900 so I could have any linux app up and running on the
480x800 display. Perhaps I wouldn't need a netbook anymore.

With Nokias acquisition of QT and their open-sourcing of Symbian Nokia
is really trying to make open source work. Sadly they seem to have
problems relating to their community. Finding out how they have to
restructure themselves to interface with a community. I would expect
Intel to have some of the same problems. At least Nokia has seen what a
community can do. The N900 lacked MMS just like the iPhone when it was
launched. The community fixed it for the N900 in 3 months. I believe it
took apple more than a year.

Anyway. MeeGo is set to become a rather high-volume platform backed by
two big vendors of devices in a new market (for linux). I think that is
exciting. Seeing Nokia and Intel trying to merge their open source
efforts is even more exciting.

I really hope they can learn a few lessons from RedHat about how to grow
a community and integrate with it. Perhaps even merge the communities
and share Fedora as the community platform. After all, neither of them
are likely to intrude on RedHats turf... MeeGo will never be positioned
as a server or desktop operating system. :-) Getting some Nokia, Intel
and TrollTech programmers aboard wouldn't hurt, would it?

So: Welcome, MeeGo. May you ship on millions of devices. :-)

birger