Re: weird F12 printing problem

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:08:40AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 20:32 -0500, fred smith wrote:

> > > Even so it needs to shared on the server that is distributing its
> > > services to the rest of the machines. Or are you connecting it to each
> > > computer independently. In my opinion that is a bad idea and can cause
> > > the problem you report.
> >
> > It only needs to be shared if all the other computers are printing
> > via that share.
> >
> > Since they AREN'T, it doesn't need to be shared.
> >
> > the printer supports lpd, ipp/http, jetdirect, and probably a handful
> > of other printing protocols, so it contains its own spool manager
> > and works just peachy when all computers print directly to it.
> But as you report it does not run  peachy from one machine. I agree the
> printer can be printed to directly. I am just saying it sometimes causes
> problems as you have reported. In my opinion even on a home LAN having
> one of you machines as a print server is a good idea. I have done it
> your way and caused a big mess.
>
> The biggest problem with your approach is that when the printer
> environment is done your way configurations on all the machines have to
> be changed rather than only on one server machine.

that's true. it's a two-sided coin here: one way requires every machine
to be tweaked if I change printers; the other way makes all printing
depend on a single machine being up and working. I chose one side of
the coin rather than the other.

In a larger environment I might have gone the other way. as it is it's
no more than six(-ish) computers.

> > it spends about 99.999% of its time sitting idle. we don't print much
> > here, and I doubt we've ever had two different systems printing to it
> > at the same time. but even if we did, it would be expected to work fine,
> > given its internal print spooling implementations.
> >

> --

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.