Re: How to move my / partition

> I want to move the / partition on a (very ancient) Fedora-12 desktop
> from one SCSI disk to another (/dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda6),
> because the second disk is showing some signs of sickness.
>
> Is there any safe way of doing this while the machine is running?
> Unfortunately the CD drive does not appear to be working,
> and the machine (an Asus-P2B-LS) does not support booting from USB.
>
> I could download and install something like Knoppix,
> if it is possible to boot from it with grub?
>
> Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

If your system is still working well enough this is not too difficult.

First download a CD image for F12 for your architecture--the netinstall
CD is pretty small and any of them are sufficient.  Then mount the image
and grab the kernel and initrd from the isolinux partition and put them
in your /boot partition (if they names conflict, change appropriately).
 Next update your grub.conf file to add an entry to boot this
image/initrd.  Add 'rescue' to the kernel line so it will boot in that
mode.  Alternately you can type that in when you boot.
The entry will look something like this:
title Fedora Rescue
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz rescue
    initrd /initrd.img

When you boot this you will be running in RAM with the tools you need to
do what you want.  Don't have it mount your existing system--just get
into a shell to do the dirty work.  Assuming you are using lvm for your
/dev/sdb3, you can do something along these lines (from memory--check
syntax):
pvcreate /dev/sda6
vgextend vg_your_vg /dev/sda3
pvmove /dev/sdb3 /dev/sda6
pvremove /dev/sdb3

I may be missing a step or two, but this idea works fine--I just had to
do it myself and the main problem I had was reducing the size of a LV so
it would fit on the new partition.