Re: How do I get digital audio out to my headphones?

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 12 February 2010 05:00:52 Marcel Rieux wrote:

>> Still, digital sound exists... it seems.
>
> I don't understand what are you trying to say.

I had a short disuccion with a friend today. He's how i can sum it up.

There is never digital output to speakers/headphones, even in a
digital TV. The processing is digital but the output has to be analog.
So, if the digital output is enabled on teh computer, the headphones
can't interpret the signal. Only the TV can interpret the signal,
amplify it and output it to its speakers through a Digital to Analog
Converter (DAC).

IOW, it's no use to try to figure why I can't get the sound to my TV
by testing the headphones jack.

>> > Rather, open a terminal and start pavucontrol (if you use pulseaudio, and
>> > I think it's a good idea). Then go to "output devices" tab (I see no
>> > "hardware" anything in pavucontrol either), and click on the "port"
>> > chooser.
>>
>> I have no port chooser. all I can do under Input is move the Front
>> Left and Right sliders, which slide as a pair, not independantly.
>
> Are you looking at pavucontrol? What version of Fedora do you use (F12 here)?
> I have pavucontrol-0.9.10-1.fc12.x86_64.

That's the version I have too. No "port"  chooser.  See:

http://cjoint.com/?cmv16QTHCI

I enabled the Fallback option, which wasn't enabled. I have no idea
what "Set as fallback" is supposed to change.

>> I don't have a sound card. I have an integrated sound chip.
>
> Regardless. In case it is integrated, I would expect to see the digital-out
> jack on the motherboard --- an orange female RCA jack, labelled "S/PDIF",
> alongside with all other motherboard jacks (keyboard, mouse, USB, etc...).

All I want to do is send sound through an ***HDMI*** cable to my TV.
The S/PDIF wire between the motherboard and the NVIDIA card is
installed. I explained how it is installed in my previous message.
Make a search on J8.