Re: How do I get digital audio out to my headphones?

On Thursday 11 February 2010 22:23:34 Marcel Rieux wrote:
> As I already said, the only sound I can get at the present time is
> analog sound on my computer. I suppose my HD TV doesn't accept analog
> sound, at least not through an HDMI cable. But, if I plug headphones
> in my computer, then the video card and the S/PDIF wire are not
> involved.

Do your headphones support digital audio? I've never seen any headphone model
that has an integrated digital-to-analog converter (the so-called DAC), and I
also believe such a thing would require some power to operate (batteries?).

You won't hear anything if you try to use standard headphones or speakers on a
digital-out jack. OTOH, that might be a test --- configure your system to
analog audio, play some music, verify that you can hear it playing, and then
switch to digital. If the headphones get muted, that probably means that audio
went digital. :-)

> Shouldn't digital audio come out on the computer if I select digital
> audio in pulseaudio, you know, right clicking the speaker in the top
> panel and selecting the digital output in "hardware"?

That depends on what app is represented with a speaker icon in the panel. For
me it is kmix, and there is no "hardware" option anywhere.

Rather, open a terminal and start pavucontrol (if you use pulseaudio, and I
think it's a good idea). Then go to "output devices" tab (I see no "hardware"
anything in pavucontrol either), and click on the "port" chooser. My hardware
doesn't support digital audio, so I have only a couple of "analog this" and
"analog that" devices. But if your audio card supports digital audio, then I
guess there should be a "digital this/that" option somewhere among the
choices. Select it. Then go to the "configuration" tab and check that any
options there are also set to "digital whatever".

I guess that should be enough. But before that you should probably play some
music in analog way to make sure nothing is muted and there are no additional
problems.

Finally, you need some equipment connected to the computer that will receive
digital audio, decode it back to analog and hopefully play it for you.

> Also, remember that alsamixer defaults to Card: PulseAudio, Chip:
> PulseAudio, with only a setting for Master, which is the same as the
> sound setting in the top panel. If I press F6, I have:
>
> .   (default)
> 0  HDA ATI SB
>     Enter device name
>
> In (default), I have only a setting for Master, which relates to the
> setting I make with the speaker icon in the top panel bar.

Yes, pulseaudio should be the default, and have only master slider. That's
because some apps still use old ALSA handle for the volume slider, and you
don't want them to increase/decrease overall system volume, but rather only
their own. So this handle is redirected to pulseaudio which handles the volume
correctly, on a per-app basis.

> The correct entry should be HDA ATI SB, as my sound card is an
> integrated Sound Blaster, chip Realtek ALC888.

No, that would not be correct, as I explained above. You *can* access the
hardware volume controls if you want to tweak them manually, but not by
default.

> Is it OK if it doesn't show as default?

Yes.

> Should Pulseaudio really be the default?

Yes.

> This is, at best, rather confusing.

I tried to explain it above. You try to understand it. :-)

> If the default should be HDA ATI SB, how to I change this?

You should not change it.

> In "0  HDA ATI SB", I have the same "Master entry". The "Headphone" is
> enabled but set to 00 and there's no way to change this.
>
> There are settings there for:
>
> S/PDIF
> S/PDIF Default PCM
>
> Both are enabled, or unmuted, if you prefer. Both are set to 0 and
> it's impossible to change this setting.

All that is because the control is left to pulseaudio, it is not meant to be
mangled manually. Pulseaudio should automatically enable and adjust this or
that switch/slider when it needs it.

If you really really want to tweak those things manually and have the hardware
mixer as the default, you should probably disable pulseaudio. But that has its
own consequences, I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you are
doing.

> Are those settings correct? How do I get digital audio out of my
> computer? If I should normally get digital audio out of my headphones,

I believe you mean the headphone jack, right? You won't hear anything digital
if you connect ordinary headphones to a digital-out jack. And what is being
used as a digital-out jack depends on the details of your sound card, I
suggest reading the manual for it. Usually it is the S/PDIF jack, a female
cinch/RCA jack on the soundcard/motherboard, colored orange. If there isn't
one like that, some other connector may be used for digital-out. Look it up in
the manual that came with your card/motherboard.

If you don't have the manual, you should be able to download one from the
manufacturer's website, for your particular hardware model.

> Nvidia doesn't seem involved in this.

It shouldn't be. Even with a HDMI cable, it only passes digital audio through
to the HDMI device that should play it. It doesn't (shouldn't, at least) touch
the signal itself.

> There was a bug report for "no sound" Fedora 12 rawhide, but it was
> supposed that kernel 2.6.30 fixed the problem. Was the problem really
> fixed?

Well, what was actually the problem that was reported? What is the bugzilla
number?

Nobody can tell if that bug is relevant for you unless we see the actual
bugzilla entry. There are multiple sound cards out there, multiple
configurations, multiple audio players, etc. Hence multiple bugs. Not every bug
has relevance for everyone's audio.

> Here's (part of) what Cameron Jenkins  wrote on  2009-05-06:
>
> "I recently had Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 on this very same laptop, and I'm pretty
>  sure I had to use "options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv4" to get sound to
>  work, but I have tried that in /etc/modprobe.d/sound and ***nothing shows
>  up in boot logs indicating the codec has selected that card to use.***"

This has nothing to do with your sound card, he apparently has Intel hardware.

> I see nothing in boot.log pertaining to sound, alsa, codec, sb, snd,
> Realtek, ALC888, etc.

Why do you expect to see such things in boot.log? I would rather look up in
dmesg and /var/log/messages for anything related to audio, sound, alsa,
pulseaudio and such.

HTH, :-)
Marko