installing and running memcache under fedora 12?

  from a position of blissful ignorance, i promised someone i'd figure
out how to install memcache under fedora 12.  a quick google brought
me here:

http://jungleg.com/2009/04/15/installing-and-configuring-memcached-for-php-in-fedora/

but there's something a bit confusing about those instructions.

  currently, on my f12 system, there are no memcache-related packages,
so i started by installing the obvious:

# yum install memcached

and that was the only package installed.  that package lists
"libevent" as a dependency but that was already installed so i was
fine there.

  however, the instructions on the aforementioned web page read:

"Finally we need to get the Memcached extension for PHP installed.
Again using yum:
yum install php-pecl-memcache"

  we *need* to get that extension for PHP installed?  really?  but if
it's necessary, why is it not listed as a dependency for memcached?
what if i *don't* install it?  how does memcached work *then*?

  just curious about that lack of dependency.

rday