Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 12:37 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I have a "ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE] (rev 01)" and I'm
> running F12 with KMS enabled, 2D works perfectly, 3D is sometimes a bit
> "stuttery" (i.e. it freezes on a frame for a small fraction of a second, not
> enough to be seen as an outright freeze, but enough to be seen as frame
> jumping), but otherwise it just works. It did have several issues (crashes,
> assertion failures) on F11, and there was one assertion failure in Extreme
> Tux Racer in the F12 release, but that got fixed in the updates. (But it's
> true F10 was best. The drivers got refactored to work with the latest X11
> driver technologies and there were some regressions in the process.)

I see the same stuttery 3D you do with KMS (it is much smoother with UMS
on those occasions that the computer doesn't lock up).

Tux Racer either crashes miserably (and leaves my desktop in 800x600!),
or runs at what looks like a frame every couple seconds or so.

2D is useable for stuff like email and word processing, though it will
sometimes (not always) lag a bit when moving or switching windows, etc.
It does not work well when watching videos, or browsing the web
(depending on content). Most of these problems will go away if I boot
with UMS, but that has stability problems, especially with 3D.

Flash seems to be particularly bad. This is easily seen by playing
YouTube videos. With UMS it works well enough. Hi def can sometimes be a
problem, but fullscreen works well. With KMS, even a low def, non-full
screen video doesn't play well - it will start to drop frames to the
extent that I often have frozen video for several seconds at a time (the
audio continues to play smoothly). My CPU will usage will be 100% during
this time (it is much lower with UMS). Perhaps a faster processor would
make a difference (this is an Athlon XP 3200+), though that would be
masking the problem.

I'm wondering how well YouTube videos work for you (try different
resolutions, full screen, etc). I'm also curious if you see a difference
between KMS and UMS, especially in CPU usage.

> Now if you're expecting a performance beast, perhaps you're expecting too
> much from a Radeon 9200? (FYI, even current Intel integrated chipsets
> (GM965) perform better.)

I'm aware that this is not a fast card. I'm not running anything that is
terribly demanding. The card is plenty fast enough to handle things like
video and Google Earth - indeed, as I said before, it *used to* handle
these tasks perfectly with previous Fedora releases - and still does in
UMS when it doesn't crash. Right now I have to choose between
performance or stability.

Brian