Re: Using a USB external enclosure with a PATA hard drive ?

Jim wrote:
> On 02/01/2010 02:19 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Jim<mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>

>> Well, wish I could be more help but this is past my expertise. The
>> only thing I can think of is to check the drive for errors...
>>
>> To check the status:
>>
>> smartctl --attributes --log=selftest --quietmode=errorsonly /dev/sdc
>>
>> To run a test:
>>
>> smartctl --test=long /dev/sdc
>>
>> I believe it is attribute 5 that shows remapped sectors. This should
>> ideally be 0 but a small number is sometimes acceptable.
>>
>> Richard
>>
> # smartctl --attributes --log=selftest --quietmode=errorsonly /dev/sdc
> smartctl 5.39 2009-12-09 r2995 [x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-9 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
>
> /dev/sdc: Unknown USB bridge [0x0c0b:0xb157 (0x000)]
> Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option.

There is the heart of the problem, the USB bridge in the enclosure is of unknown
type, and isn't giving proper access to the device. At this point I would
probably spend a few bucks on a new enclosure (I have a bad ration of time to
money), but since it invites you to specify the device type with -d, what
results did you get when you provided the device type? A PATA drive is usually
seen with either 'ata' or 'sat' device types, but if those fail you could try
'scsi' just for grins.

I'm guessing that you will need a command line option at kernel boot time to
make this work, I can't remember the details since I haven't used it in several
years. You can force use of libata if you want, but you need to try some things
and report the results, not just "didn't work" but some actual error messages.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>