Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> said:
> I am not sure about that. I think that a lot of the stuff that is upstream in
> 2.6.33 is already in Fedora kernels. I use an rv530 on F12 (currently with the
> 2.6.32 kernels, but previously with 2.6.31) and it seems to work OK for
> 3d stuff, though I just do quick checks and not a lot of stress testing.
> Probably Fedora got the stuff when it went into staging.

I have a Radeon RV770 (HD 4850), and it works fine for 2D.  I had a
little problem with suspend/resume with F12, but that seems to have
cleared up (don't try it much now, because now I have other problems
with suspend/resume).  I have the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental loaded,
and glxgears works, but that's about all the 3D I do (video playback
works fine; that also uses DRI, right?).

The other problem I have read with nVidia cards and the binary driver is
that they remove support for older cards after a while, so your
previously working card suddenly stops working.  I don't really care to
support a vendor that takes that approach after a few years.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>