Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:45:39 -0500,
>   Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I don't need or want 3D anything, just a working display which doesn't crash.
>> Note that 2.6.33-rc[56] seem somewhat better, although some adventures in
>> cmdline options are needed to get there (not the same on each laptop). I'm 1/3
>> on servers, and 0/3 on VM. I'm told my aborts are being worked on, which is nice
>> but not helpful.
>>

> That sucks. Fedora should be prioritizing having working drivers in spite
> of the upheavel going on with the underpinnings. Hopefully the board will
> try to help here.

I think the issue is that the drivers in F12 are already out of date,
and that unless the 2.6.33 (and later) video drivers are backported, or
the kernel is upgraded, there won't be a lot of joy.

> As an individual you have some bad choices:
> Stay with F11 (possibly even after it is out of support).
> Switch to another distribution.
> Use the vesa driver and have slow graphics.
> Live with frequent crashes.

I don't see the vesa driver as an issue for me, I'm not a gamer, I don't
need 3D, and the performance in some cases is faster than the current
in-kernel drivers, at least for simple tests like glxgears or displaying
a large image.

The other issue, touchpad lockup with F12 kernels newer than 2.6.31.5 is
more of an issue, again the more recent kernel.org kernels work okay.
Suspend has stopped working on both laptops still running F12, worked up
to 2.6.31.5, doesn't resume now. All reported.

> If you stick with Fedora, making sure there are bugs filed with adequate
> documentation for the various graphics card will at least make someone aware
> of the problem. Participating in the appropriate test days provides another
> chance to get the attention of a graphics driver developer and the possibility
> of fast turn around for testing possible fixes might help. Bringing the issue
> up with the board may encourage them to be more proactive in dealing with
> this problem with Fedora.

I think much of this is the state of the kernel drivers, and as one of
the bug reports notes, the RT guys screwed up the dbus (from memory)
logic again (his phrase), which is why Synaptics doesn't work. Why
metacity crashes all the time on some machines is also "reported but not
fixed."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we