Re: NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

On 01/25/2010 07:41 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Ed Greshko<Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>>>
>>> My first message:
>>>
>>> "I have an NVIDIA 9400GT card."
>>>
>>> Whether it's an Asus or an MSI, it's always a 9400GT card. Otherwise,
>>> you wouldn't know what you're talking about.
>>>
>> There is *more* than one model of Asus 9400GT card.
>
> Really. What are they?
>
>> Besides, if someone
>> is trying to help you and asks you to be more specific...they why can't
>> you just answer the question?
>
> Well, you see, I already opened the computer thrice for this problem.
> Before i opened it for a fourth time, I would have liked to know the
> reason why.
>
>> Kind of make me want to stop trying to help...
>
> You've been very helpful in the past Ed but, as I said, unless you see
> a very precise solution, maybe it's time for you to take a little rest
> away from this problem.

>>> What lspci told you is information entered in the card by Asustek.
>>> EN9400GT, was in my first message, then I told you it was an Asus. The
>>> info you now seem to consider relevant tells you nothing more, except
>>> the card has 1GB RAM, cause some have 512 MB.
>>>
>> Doesn't matter...
>
> I don't think so either. Once again, what are the other 9400GT models
> that are so different?
>
>>> I'm referring to the arrow on the plug facing this or that side of the
>>> motherboard, never a word about a discrete sound card, and  you ask if
>>> I have a discrete sound card?
>>>
>>> Besides lspci -v says:
>>>
>>> Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
>>>        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a022
>>>
>>> What would Giga-byte have to do in a discrete audio card?
>>>

>>  From this information I cannot tell if the sound chip is integrated on
>> the motherboard or on an discrete audio card.
>
> Why would a discrete sound card have a reference to Gigabyte? Giga
> doesn't make sound cards.

>>> The mobo has 4 male pins -- excuse the pleonasm -- for s/pdif out in a
>>> little casing. The plug has 4 female holes, one of which is
>>> obstructed. How do you get the plug in if you don't open the plugged
>>> hole: a pin will be facing the plugged hole.
>>>
>> Humm...could explain why I have no children...
>
> Yup! I believe you've been looking too much for the key hole :)

Just a little note, I don't have the answer to your problem ...

The S/PDIF interface only needs 2 wires from the motherboard to your
video card, signal and ground. Usually there is another pin that carries
5 volts used to power a fiber optic interface cable. If you are
connecting to a 4 pin header on the motherboard, are you sure you are
using the s/pdif connector?  My Intel board only has three pins on the
s/pdif header.

Regards,

John