Re: NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

On Monday 25 January 2010 03:04:49 pm Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Bill Davidsen wrote:

> >> Did you get PulseAudio to send output to the connector? Many times this
> >> is a PA config issue.
> >
> > That is actually a very good question....
> >
> > Everything I would find out about ASUS Nvidia 9400GT based cards
> > (assuming this is an actual card) is that the spdif cable is simply a
> > pass though.  One connects the spdif cable from the graphics card to
> > either a sound card connector or motherboard connector (depending on
> > your system and its configuration) and sound is simply passed through to
> > the HDMI.
>
> That's how it's *supposed* to work.
Ive never heard of such a config for hdmi.  My myth box does hdmi out  i plug a
hdmi cable from the computer to the tv. audio and video both go over the same
cable. Selecting the right profile in pulse audio activated things correctly.
i get sound though my tv.  due to the way hdmi works you do not get volume
control on your computer.  it passes a constant signal  which the end device
uses to control volume.  likely the device is muted by default.

> > So, one needs to ensure the output is configured correctly.
>
> The only relevant configuration I see for sound is under the hardware
> tab. Anything analog gives an output on the computer, anything digital
> gives no output. In both cases, there is no output on the TV.

Dennis