Re: NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

On 01/25/2010 03:14 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:

>>> That is actually a very good question....
>>>
>>> Everything I would find out about ASUS Nvidia 9400GT based cards
>>> (assuming this is an actual card) is that the spdif cable is simply a
>>> pass though.  One connects the spdif cable from the graphics card to
>>> either a sound card connector or motherboard connector (depending on
>>> your system and its configuration) and sound is simply passed through to
>>> the HDMI.
>>>

>> That's how it's *supposed* to work.
>>

> Since you now appear to know how it is supposed to work....I wonder why
> you were bitching about Nvidia and the drivers.  The product is not a
> Nvidia product...but an Asus product.
>
> We also don't have enough information on the card itself.  Nor do we
> have any information on what your sound system is or where you've
> connected the spdif cable.  You've said that one of the cables holes was
> blocked....but many times that is quite normal.  That could be the "key
> hole" that would prevent one from installing cable in the wrong
> orientation.  It is more than likely a "key hole" since you state there
> is no wire going to it.  So, I would even question if you have the cable
> installed correctly or even to the correct pin block on your system.
>

>>> So, one needs to ensure the output is configured correctly.
>>>

>> The only relevant configuration I see for sound is under the hardware
>> tab. Anything analog gives an output on the computer, anything digital
>> gives no output. In both cases, there is no output on the TV.

There are several things at work here:

1: aplay --list-devices

If only the onboard sound devices show up, then:
     A: You are not connected correctly (hardware) -- recheck the wiring.
     B: That card does NOT do audio out via HDMI -- recheck card
specifications.

2: You may need to use alsamixer to force pulseaudio to use the right card:
     A alsamixer -C N (where N == card number from aplay listing)
     B: make sure nothing is muted in alsamixer
     C: alsactl store N (where N == card number)
     D: Check the GNOME audio again and set as appropriate

Some TVs will allow a mix of HDMI in on one channel and audio in on
another channel, just for this type of situation where the source cannot
do audio over HDMI.  My son has a TV like that.

Good Luck!