Re: NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>> Since the NVIDIA forums are just a lost of time, I'll first ask the
>> question here.
>>
>> I have an NVIDIA 9400GT card and a Sony LCD TV linked with an HDMI cable.
>>
>> First problem I found: the S/PDIF cable -- which is needed only with
>> NVIDIA cards -- wasn't installed. The plug had a molding problem and
>> one of the 4 holes was blocked. (The hole was just empty: no wire
>> going to it.) I opened it with a pin, installed it with the arrow
>> facing the closest part of the motherboard, reversed it, and, of
>> course, sound doesn't come out of the TV. It's an Nvidia product!
>>
>> Anybody got this working?
>
> Did you get PulseAudio to send output to the connector?

What do you have to do to achieve this? Pulseaudio seems enabled.

Here's what I can find:

ps ax | grep pulseaudio
 1551 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]

Note: Both my monitor and TV, of course, are in digital mode.

========================

>From nvidia-bug-report

NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  190.53  Wed Dec  9
15:29:46 PST 2009
vgaarb: device changed decodes:
PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC888, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3862: autoconfig: line_outs=4
(0x14/0x15/0x16/0x17/0x0)
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3866:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3870:    hp_outs=1 (0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3871:    mono: mono_out=0x0
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3874:    dig-out=0x1e/0x0
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3882:    inputs: mic=0x18, fmic=0x19,
line=0x1a, fline=0x0, cd=0x1c, aux=0x0
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3884:    dig-in=0x1f
ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c:1197: realtek: Enabling init
ASM_ID=0xe601 CODEC_ID=10ec0888
input: HDA Digital PCBeep as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/input/input5
type=1400 audit(1264361533.267:4): avc:  denied  { mmap_zero } for
pid=599 comm="vbetool"

===========================

pulseaudio --dump-conf
### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
daemonize = no
fail = yes
high-priority = yes
nice-level = -11
realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 5
allow-module-loading = yes
allow-exit = yes
use-pid-file = yes
system-instance = no
cpu-limit = no
enable-shm = yes
flat-volumes = yes
lock-memory = no
exit-idle-time = 20
scache-idle-time = 20
dl-search-path = /usr/lib64/pulse-0.9.21/modules
default-script-file = /etc/pulse/default.pa
load-default-script-file = yes
log-target = auto
log-level = notice
resample-method = auto
enable-remixing = yes
enable-lfe-remixing = no
default-sample-format = s16le
default-sample-rate = 44100
default-sample-channels = 2
default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
default-fragments = 4
default-fragment-size-msec = 25
shm-size-bytes = 0
log-meta = no
log-time = no
log-backtrace = 0
rlimit-fsize = -1
rlimit-data = -1
rlimit-stack = -1
rlimit-core = -1
rlimit-rss = -1
rlimit-as = -1
rlimit-nproc = -1
rlimit-nofile = 256
rlimit-memlock = -1
rlimit-locks = -1
rlimit-sigpending = -1
rlimit-msgqueue = -1
rlimit-nice = 31
rlimit-rtprio = 9
rlimit-rttime = 1000000

pulseaudio --dump-modules
module-alsa-card                        ALSA Card
module-alsa-sink                        ALSA Sink
module-alsa-source                      ALSA Source
module-always-sink                      Always keeps at least one sink
loaded even if it's a null one
module-augment-properties               Augment the property sets of
streams with additional static information
module-card-restore                     Automatically restore profile of cards
module-cli                              Command line interface
module-cli-protocol-tcp                 Command line interface
protocol (TCP sockets)
module-cli-protocol-unix                Command line interface
protocol (UNIX sockets)
module-combine                          Combine multiple sinks to one
module-console-kit                      Create a client for each
ConsoleKit session of this user
module-cork-music-on-phone              Mute or cork music while a
phone stream exists
module-default-device-restore           Automatically restore the
default sink and source
module-device-manager                   Keep track of devices (and
their descriptions) both past and present and prioritise by role
module-device-restore                   Automatically restore the
volume/mute state of devices
module-esound-compat-spawnfd            ESOUND compatibility module:
-spawnfd emulation
module-esound-compat-spawnpid           ESOUND compatibility module:
-spawnpid emulation
module-esound-protocol-tcp              ESOUND protocol (TCP sockets)
module-esound-protocol-unix             ESOUND protocol (UNIX sockets)
module-esound-sink                      ESOUND Sink
module-gconf                            GConf Adapter
module-hal-detect                       Compatibility module
module-http-protocol-tcp                HTTP (TCP sockets)
module-http-protocol-unix               HTTP (UNIX sockets)
module-intended-roles                   Automatically set device of
streams based of intended roles of devices
module-ladspa-sink                      Virtual LADSPA sink
module-loopback                         Loopback from source to sink
module-match                            Playback stream expression
matching module
module-mmkbd-evdev                      Multimedia keyboard support
via Linux evdev
module-native-protocol-fd               Native protocol autospawn helper
module-native-protocol-tcp              Native protocol (TCP sockets)
module-native-protocol-unix             Native protocol (UNIX sockets)
module-null-sink                        Clocked NULL sink
module-position-event-sounds            Position event sounds between
L and R depending on the position on screen of the widget triggering
them.
module-remap-sink                       Virtual channel remapping sink
module-rescue-streams                   When a sink/source is removed,
try to move their streams to the default sink/source
module-rtp-recv                         Receive data from a network
via RTP/SAP/SDP
module-rtp-send                         Read data from source and send
it to the network via RTP/SAP/SDP
module-rygel-media-server               UPnP MediaServer Plugin for Rygel
module-simple-protocol-tcp              Simple protocol (TCP sockets)
module-simple-protocol-unix             Simple protocol (UNIX sockets)
module-sine                             Sine wave generator
module-sine-source                      Sine wave generator source
module-stream-restore                   Automatically restore the
volume/mute/device state of streams
module-suspend-on-idle                  When a sink/source is idle for
too long, suspend it
module-tunnel-sink                      Tunnel module for sinks
module-tunnel-source                    Tunnel module for sources
module-udev-detect                      Detect available audio
hardware and load matching drivers
module-volume-restore                   Compatibility module
module-x11-bell                         X11 bell interceptor
module-x11-cork-request                 Synthesize X11 media key
events when cork/uncork is requested
module-x11-publish                      X11 credential publisher
module-x11-xsmp                         X11 session management

pulseaudio --dump-resample-methods
src-sinc-best-quality
src-sinc-medium-quality
src-sinc-fastest