Re: Anyone know how to rsync or ssh to an ftp site? (Follow on to Tar Oddity)

On 01/22/2010 01:26 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 21:12 +0100, DB wrote:
>
>> Evening All,
>>
>> After many trials&  tribulations, I've finally got my laptop running F12
>> - got caught by the "yumex kernel upgrade" problem - still can't get ark
>> to read consistently from my external disc -even after running cpu test
>> for 2 days&  memtest for 80 hours without error&  getting a clean bill
>> of health from palimpsest for the HDD, -  so tried rsync&  ssh&  finally
>> followed enough "how to"s to copy my /home from F11 to F12.  Thanks to
>> all for the many ideas of how to fix it!
>>
>> Now.... seeing how brilliant rsync is at updating my /home on the 2
>> machines, I thought it'd be a Good Idea to try and use it to keep a
>> website I look after, up to date.  Problem is - how do I specify the
>> "receiver" address, when I only have an ftp access to the distant system
>> (&  I guess my chances of installing rsync on a provider's system is
>> about as good as......)  All the notes I read on the 'net seem to work
>> with ip addresses, which I don't know how to find for my target...
>>
>> As ever, enormous thanks for any pointers&  pushes in a "good" direction!
>

> As Patrick O'Callaghan has pointed out, the target site must be running
> an rsync daemon for you to connect with your rsync client. Fortunately
> this is usually rather simple to determine:
>
>          $ rsync rsync://ftp.target.site
>
>          --or--
>
>          $ rsync rsync://rsync.target.site
>
> The actual DNS name of the rsync site may take some guessing, and you
> can always use an absolute IP address if you now it. If there's an rsync
> daemon running on that site, it should respond with the contents of
> the /etc/rsyncd.conf file following the initialization section. Those
> contents will guide you to wherever the folder(s)/file(s) may be that
> you want to fetch. For example, here locally I can type:
>
>          $ rsync rsync://lion
>          pub             entire 1TB array
>          centos          Centos 5.4 mirror
>          cygwin          Cygwin mirror
>          f12             Fedora 12 General Release
>          f12_updates     Fedora 12 Updates
>          rawhide         Fedora Rawhide / Development
>
> To create or update a local mirror of the F12 Updates repository on my
> rsync server "lion" I just type:
>
>          $ rsync -acvxzHP --delete rsync://lion/pub/f12_updates/ /pub/fedora/linux/updates/12/
>
> Hope this helps.

If all the remote site gives you is ftp, you could use either a GUI-
based FTP client locally (such as kasablanca [KDE] or gftp [GTK])
or a command-line batch FTP client (such as ncftp/ncftpput/ncftpget).

rsync would be nice, but in a pinch.........