Re: Anyone know how to rsync or ssh to an ftp site? (Follow on to Tar Oddity)

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 21:12 +0100, DB wrote:
Evening All,

After many trials & tribulations, I've finally got my laptop running F12
- got caught by the "yumex kernel upgrade" problem - still can't get ark
to read consistently from my external disc -even after running cpu test
for 2 days & memtest for 80 hours without error & getting a clean bill
of health from palimpsest for the HDD, -  so tried rsync & ssh & finally
followed enough "how to"s to copy my /home from F11 to F12.  Thanks to
all for the many ideas of how to fix it!

Now.... seeing how brilliant rsync is at updating my /home on the 2
machines, I thought it'd be a Good Idea to try and use it to keep a
website I look after, up to date.  Problem is - how do I specify the
"receiver" address, when I only have an ftp access to the distant system
(& I guess my chances of installing rsync on a provider's system is
about as good as......)  All the notes I read on the 'net seem to work
with ip addresses, which I don't know how to find for my target...

As ever, enormous thanks for any pointers & pushes in a "good" direction!

As Patrick O'Callaghan has pointed out, the target site must be running an rsync daemon for you to connect with your rsync client. Fortunately this is usually rather simple to determine:
$ rsync rsync://ftp.target.site
--or--
$ rsync rsync://rsync.target.site
The actual DNS name of the rsync site may take some guessing, and you can always use an absolute IP address if you now it. If there's an rsync daemon running on that site, it should respond with the contents of the /etc/rsyncd.conf file following the initialization section. Those contents will guide you to wherever the folder(s)/file(s) may be that you want to fetch. For example, here locally I can type:
$ rsync rsync://lion
pub             entire 1TB array
centos          Centos 5.4 mirror
cygwin          Cygwin mirror
f12             Fedora 12 General Release
f12_updates     Fedora 12 Updates
rawhide         Fedora Rawhide / Development
To create or update a local mirror of the F12 Updates repository on my rsync server "lion" I just type:
$ rsync -acvxzHP --delete rsync://lion/pub/f12_updates/ /pub/fedora/linux/updates/12/
Hope this helps.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL