Re: Demand for LUKS password blocks boot

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 19:45 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:52:11 -0600
> Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In my Fedora 12 system, if an external LUKS encrypted volume happens
> > to be connected to the system while it is booting, the boot sequence
> > blocks waiting for the password.  This means that my system cannot
> > boot unattended (perhaps following a power failure) if an encrypted
> > external drive happens to be connected.  This is completely
> > unacceptable.  How can I get the system to ignore this unnecessary
> > external volume during boot?  This could be any random device, so I
> > can't set up a rule to ignore specific device identifiers.
>
> From:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dracut/Options#crypto_LUKS
>
> Pass: rd_NO_LUKS to your kernel boot line.

But that doesn't seem to help if you have LUKS devices that you do want
activated during boot (I haven't tested so could have the wrong end of
the stick).

Seems like there may be a need to have configured LUKS volumes block the
boot process but not stuff that gets autodetected during boot, at least
as a switch for the admin to decide..

Regards,
Bryn.