Re: Dual Monitor Question

On Thursday 21 January 2010 03:26:31 Matt Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 January 2010 01:26:06 Matt Smith wrote:
> > This is also the file you need to edit in order to activate the radeon
> > driver
> > and get a dual-monitor system (hopefully). Attach it and post it here,
> > and then I'll tell you exactly what and how to modify in it.

Ok, your xorg.conf file is simpler than I thought. This is what you need to do:

1) Open a terminal
2) Type

su -

3) The su will ask for the root password. Type it in.
4) Type

gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

5) A text editor should open for you and have the contents of xorg.conf
displayed.
6) Delete the word "vesa" and put "radeon" in its place.
7) Save the file and close the editor.
8) Make sure your both monitors are plugged in.
9) Reboot the computer.
10) After you log in again, send me again the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the
output of xrandr.

If all goes well, X will use the radeon driver, xrandr will become smarter and
it will be a matter of using a single xrandr command to turn on the other
monitor.

Best, :-)
Marko