Re: Curiosity re: abrt ??

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Michael Schwendt  wrote:
<snip>

> Recently, however, there have been many close-to-useless reports from
> ABRT. With backtrace attachments created with dozens to hundreds of
> missing -debuginfo packages.
Um, why can't the debuginfo be pulled into fedora bugzilla automagically?
If abrt can make a list of packages that are needed for a good bug
report and a list of addresses that could be translated into more useful
information with the debug packages, why does a user have to download
potentially hundreds of megabytes of debug files from a redhat site (ok,
probably a mirror, but my point is stronger if I pretend the debuginfo
server is sitting in the same rack as the fedora bugzilla server).  Maybe
I'm missing something, but it seems to me like this:

backtrace + debuginfo -> list of line numbers
core + debuginfo + gdb -> interactive session for peeking at state of
crashed app

Why does the user need debuginfo?  Give the package maintainer
an easy way to get the debuginfo, not the user!

                          David

PS - Am I the only one that has been stuck in a recursive loop
reporting abrt crashes using abrt. ;)