Re: [Bulk] Re: Brother DCP 7020 printer receiving data but not printing ?!?

Hi Tim;

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 16:00 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:

> I think you mean the PolicyKit dialog, which says things like
> "Privileges are required to get devices." and "An application is
> attempting to perform an action that requires privileges."

Yes, that is the widow.

I experimented with various attempts at printing re-configuration.

The Window I am referring to is titled "Authentication".

> In that case, do you mean that the window is not brought to the front,
> and instead is hidden behind other windows?
> I believe this is a PolicyKit problem: there is no way for the client
> (system-config-printer in this case) to indicate to the dialog which window has "caused" the
> authentication dialog, and I think causes the window manager to prevent
> it from "focus stealing".

It is brought to the front, but remains unfocused.

I also experimented with other administration gui's.  Some do use the
"Authentication" window which remains unfocused.

Others, like List Hardware (lshw), Network Device Control and Display
for example, use a query window at the start that says:

"Query
You are attempting to run "lshw-gui" which requires administrative
privileges, but more information is needed in order to do so.
Authentication as "root"
Password:            "

This Query window always starts focused.

Don't take me amiss.  My comments where only meant as a minor nit-pick
not as a major complaint.  With that said, most users are like me -- so
used to automatically and rapidly typing in "root's" password that it is
a bit of an annoyance to have to stop and read which Authentication
window your dealing with and/or having to type the password twice.

If it is a PolicyKit problem, maybe we can both gang up on the PolicyKit
people to change their password window to be focused?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28