Re: Posts getting ignored (was F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken)

2009/12/14 Mikkel <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 12/14/2009 11:11 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> Your treatment of redhat/fedora users with over a decade of use has finally
>> reached the quitting point.  You refuse to fix openssh, hoping that would
>> force me to install F12, and when I do and have problems, its go pound sand.

> Do you think maybe the way you post, and the hassles of trying to
> work with you to try and solve problems, might have something to do
> with your posts being low priority on the list?

Actually I quite like most of Gene's output - he's cranky and he likes
guns - what's not to like?

What stopped me from digging into this particular post was:

1) I can't help on this issue (and I've been a bit busy lately).
2) The word "you" cropping up repeatedly.

I think there's a misconception here that addressing fedora-list is
addressing the people who "make" Fedora. That's not necessarily the
case, and by using the word "you" the blame is implicitly being
transferred (probably through frustration or some kind of monthly
cycle ;o) to "everyone who isn't called Gene Heskett", when probably a
large proportion of list members have no more input into the source of
Gene's frustration than he does himself. I don't think most people
like being blamed for something that isn't their problem, which
doesn't incline them to help out.

I don't speak for any kind of majority, but my contribution to
"making" Fedora is pretty much zilch. I file the occasional bug, I
help out other users where I can, but I'm not currently a Fedora
Developer or Fedora Packager. However, I do consider myself part of
the greater Fedora Community and I exclusively use Fedora at work and
at home (well, at work I have RHEL as well, but it's not my choice on
the servers ;o)

Fedora is very definitely a Community and perhaps the best way to
address this would have been:

# I have this problem - can anyone help?
# I still have this problem, is there any more information I can provide?
# I still have this problem, how do I report it to people that *can* help?

Even if the end result is that no help is forthcoming, that's
unfortunately the way the cookie crumbles - you get the guarantees you
pay for... Ranting about it unfortunately doesn't go anywhere.

Also, I thought Linux Mint was a nice niche distro. It's not Fedora
and I didn't feel I could dig into it as much as I do with Fedora, but
it worked out of the box on an EEEPC I used to have at a time when F8
and F9 wouldn't - so it has it's place - just not in my heart. At
least it's from the right side of the Atlantic ;o)

--
Sam