Re: Is F12 ready to upgrade ? Is it worth it ?

On 11/26/2009 02:08 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Terry Barnaby wrote:

It surprises me that there is not a greater attempt
to get feed-back on the frequency of problems,
or equally, the lack of problems.
I would have thought it would be relatively easy
to design an online form that Fedora users
could be asked to complete.

There are certainly issues with X11 graphics in F12. On 4 different
systems I have installed it on 3 do not work in 3D (System hangs, etc).
2 of the systems have hangs (X11 and/or system) in 2D.

If you don't mind my using your problem as a hook to hang an opinion on:
You have had graphics problems with 3 out of 4 machines.
Personally, I have had no graphics problems with Fedora-12/KDE
on 5 machines, though I have had other minor (and unimportant) problems.

But how rare or common is your experience?
Have only 5% of Fedora users had graphics problems with F-12?
Or is it 50%? Or 75%?

I don't see how it is possible to plan development rationally
without some idea of the statistics.

I agree. I could be unlucky with my particular systems. Although from
the forum there apear to be many people having install problems that sound
like Graphics driver issues. I am also mainly talking about 3D apps that,
I guess, a lot of people do not use.
Are there any statistics of actual F12 users, not just those who downloaded
the systems and installed them ? (I have test installed 5 F12 systems but use
none of them).