Re: Pulseaudio error message -

On 25/11/09 20:09, stan wrote:
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:10:04 -0500
Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

     I don't have much need for sound but it usually works.

     This is a new F-12 install from the livecd and it acts like the
     audio level is turned down somewhere although I haven't been able
to find it. I think I can hear some very faint sounds at times?.

     One symptom is:[bobg@box6 ~]$
aplay /usr/share/sounds/purple/alert.wav

         Home directory /home/bobg not ours.
         ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to
         connect: Connection refused

         aplay: main:608: audio open error: Connection refused

     When I try pavucontrol I get an error message:

         "Connection failed: Connection refused"

     I don't know what this is telling me, I know that I have changed
     anything related to sound. It worked with no problem in F-11

     Any suggestions appreciated.

     Bob

Sure sounds like a permission problem.  It is acting like you are a
different user than pulse was started with.  What happens if you set up
a new user and try from there?

   I created a new user "bob" and he was able to get sound after
   changing some of the sound config's via the GUI for "Sound Preferences."

   It was set to "Analog Mono Output/Amplifier." Changing that to
   "Analog Output/Amplifier" got sound working for "bob" but not for me
   "bobg!"

   I've been checking permissions but obviously not the right ones or
   not recognizing the error? Pavucontrol still comes up with the same
   error message.

   Bob