Re: Upgrading from FC8 to F12 - please help

> Hello All,

> I tried to upgrade my old machine running Fedora Core 8 to the shiny
> new Fedora 12 using 'preupgrade'. I know this isn't a recommended
> method, but I thought I would still try - as it went just fine on a
> test machine with a similar configuration.

> I have 4 disks on my main machine: 2x200Gb are mirrored (RAID1) using
> a cheap Promise controller card (they were still visible as separate
> disks in FC8: /dev/sda and /dev/sdb), and other 2x1Tb drives are
> connected directly to the motherboard (/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd).

> Everywhere LVM is used (well, it was almost a default install of Fedora 8).
> My system was on /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb, which is basically the same).
> Two terabyte drives were used as data-disks only.

> Within my old system, 'preupgrade' ran without visible errors. Then I
> restarted the system, adding 'upgradeany' parameter in grub (otherwise
> it won't find a target drive - same was on the test machine as well).

> My boot options in grub look like this:

> kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade
> repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
> stage2=hd:UUID=<probably a disk ID in LVM>:/upgrade/install.img
> ks=hd:UUID=<same UUID as before>:/upgrade/ks.cfg upgradeany

> It booted to the upgrade image and notified me that it can't
> initialize /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, which are (according to the
> error message) 1Tb each! So it says that it couldn't initialize my
> data drives - Ok, I thought that I could deal with that later.
> So I ignored the message and then got next error:

> "Unable to read package metadata...
> <skip>
> Cannon retrieve repository metadata (repmod.xml) for repository:
> anaconda-InstallationRepo-200911081854.i386. Please verify its path
> and try again."

> I searched for the file and it's actually at:

> /mnt/sysimage/var/cache/yum/

> But that's probably not where installer expects it to be...

> Here's output of df -k (copied it by hand, sorry for a bad
> spacing):

> Filesystem        Used     Available       Mounted on
> /dev              204         508876       /dev
> none              119076      390004       /tmp
> /dev/loop0        118912           0       /mnt/runtime
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                  3808856    23013188       /mnt/sysimage
> /dev/mapper/pdc_eceihagjhp1
>                   164366       20037       /mnt/sysimage/boot
> /dev                 204      508876       /mnt/sysimage/dev
> /dev/tmpfs             0      509080       /mnt/sysimage/dev/shm
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02
>                  4756984   145787384       /mnt/sysimage/storage

> Looks like my filesystem is somehow mounted, although I'm not sure if
> I should also have 'VolGroup00-LogVol01' somewhere as well...

> As my installation couldn't continue, I decided to 'exit installer'
> and reboot to my previous system. But my old system is now not
> available as well. It starts to boot, shows something regarding LVM
> [...]

Update: now while trying to boot to an old FC8, I get an error:

/sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsepol.so.1:
invalid ELF header

Doesn't look good... :-(

I would prefer to continue with an upgrade to F12 if possible, but I
don't know how to do it and I'm not sure it is possible at all...

--
Best regards,
 Andrew