Re: Upgrading from FC8 to F12 - please help

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 22:53 +0300, Andrew Junev wrote:
> > Hello All,
>
> > I tried to upgrade my old machine running Fedora Core 8 to the shiny
> > new Fedora 12 using 'preupgrade'. I know this isn't a recommended
> > method, but I thought I would still try - as it went just fine on a
> > test machine with a similar configuration.
>
> > I have 4 disks on my main machine: 2x200Gb are mirrored (RAID1) using
> > a cheap Promise controller card (they were still visible as separate
> > disks in FC8: /dev/sda and /dev/sdb), and other 2x1Tb drives are
> > connected directly to the motherboard (/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd).
>
> > Everywhere LVM is used (well, it was almost a default install of Fedora 8).
> > My system was on /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb, which is basically the same).
> > Two terabyte drives were used as data-disks only.
>

> > Within my old system, 'preupgrade' ran without visible errors. Then I
> > restarted the system, adding 'upgradeany' parameter in grub (otherwise
> > it won't find a target drive - same was on the test machine as well).
>
> > My boot options in grub look like this:
>
> > kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade
> > repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
> > stage2=hd:UUID=<probably a disk ID in LVM>:/upgrade/install.img
> > ks=hd:UUID=<same UUID as before>:/upgrade/ks.cfg upgradeany
>

> > It booted to the upgrade image and notified me that it can't
> > initialize /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, which are (according to the
> > error message) 1Tb each! So it says that it couldn't initialize my
> > data drives - Ok, I thought that I could deal with that later.
> > So I ignored the message and then got next error:
>
> > "Unable to read package metadata...
> > <skip>
> > Cannon retrieve repository metadata (repmod.xml) for repository:
> > anaconda-InstallationRepo-200911081854.i386. Please verify its path
> > and try again."
>

> > I searched for the file and it's actually at:
>
> > /mnt/sysimage/var/cache/yum/
>
> > But that's probably not where installer expects it to be...
>
> > Here's output of df -k (copied it by hand, sorry for a bad
> > spacing):
>

> > Filesystem        Used     Available       Mounted on
> > /dev              204         508876       /dev
> > none              119076      390004       /tmp
> > /dev/loop0        118912           0       /mnt/runtime
> > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> >                  3808856    23013188       /mnt/sysimage
> > /dev/mapper/pdc_eceihagjhp1
> >                   164366       20037       /mnt/sysimage/boot
> > /dev                 204      508876       /mnt/sysimage/dev
> > /dev/tmpfs             0      509080       /mnt/sysimage/dev/shm
> > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02
> >                  4756984   145787384       /mnt/sysimage/storage
>

> > Looks like my filesystem is somehow mounted, although I'm not sure if
> > I should also have 'VolGroup00-LogVol01' somewhere as well...
>

> > As my installation couldn't continue, I decided to 'exit installer'
> > and reboot to my previous system. But my old system is now not
> > available as well. It starts to boot, shows something regarding LVM
> [...]
----
shut down the system and disconnect the 2 1-TB drives to ensure that
they are not involved

Download and boot from Fedora 12 installation DVD and install as update.
After getting good boot, shutdown and reconnect the drives and if
necessary boot from installation DVD in rescue mode, chroot
to /mnt/sysimage and 'grub-install /dev/sda' again.

Craig

believed to be clean.