Re: upgrading i686 F11 -> x86-64 F12

Colin Brace wrote:

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Have you tried using a x86_64 install DVD and going the "upgrade" route
with it (rather than the "install" route)?

I essentially did this from F6.i686 to F9.x86_64.  I had lots to clean
up when I was done, but it essentially worked.  You might have to change
the following file by hand first:

	/etc/rpm/platform

so that it contains the one line:

x86_64-redhat-linix

You might also want to change to this line in /etc/yum.conf

exactarch=0

If you do that, I think that you could then use "yum upgrade" to do the
upgrade and it would switch package architectures for you.

Very interesting idea, Kevin. Sounds like you are suggesting two different
approaches: one an upgrade from the DVD; the other is using yum. Or am I
misunderstanding you? Yum requires the "preupgrade" route, no?

That's an interesting question, to which I have no answer. I have yum.conf set to keep RPMs, and I have run upgrade within a given release just with "--downloadonly" set. I don't know if preupgrade is significantly different, and if so in what way.

I would certain go the preupgrade route, that being the "least unsupported" path, although a full reinstall of all system data will probably be more satisfactory in the end.

I find that the biggest problem with 64 bit is that I still have to install the 32 bit libraries and things to use some software; I don't want to spend all my time building from source, finding the 64 bit versions, etc. If there were a group "all the usual 32 bit libraries" I'd be happier. As it is, my desktops are still 32 bit with PAE kernels.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>