Re: upgrading i686 F11 -> x86-64 F12

On 11/17/2009 06:10 PM, Colin Brace wrote:

> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried using a x86_64 install DVD and going the "upgrade" route
>> with it (rather than the "install" route)?
>>
>> I essentially did this from F6.i686 to F9.x86_64.  I had lots to clean
>> up when I was done, but it essentially worked.  You might have to change
>> the following file by hand first:
>>
>> 	/etc/rpm/platform
>>
>> so that it contains the one line:
>>
>> x86_64-redhat-linix
>>
>> You might also want to change to this line in /etc/yum.conf
>>
>> exactarch=0
>>
>> If you do that, I think that you could then use "yum upgrade" to do the
>> upgrade and it would switch package architectures for you.
>>

> Very interesting idea, Kevin. Sounds like you are suggesting two different
> approaches: one an upgrade from the DVD; the other is using yum. Or am I
> misunderstanding you? Yum requires the "preupgrade" route, no?

preupgrade is the "supported" method recently release by the fedora
team.  I have used this method both successfully and unsuccessfully
recently.  My mixed results including it working on one set of hardware
and not on another, even though the same releases were involved.

yum upgrade  has been around for a while, but the fedora team does not
support it.  I have used this method successfully in the past, but often
with lot's of manual cleanup necessary.  It is documented here:

	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

In addition, when you throw in the architecture change, it becomes even
more "unsupported".

I have learned a lot about how Fedora works "under the hood" by doing
unsupported upgrades and then cleaning them up when I got done.  Some
times they "work", some times they don't.  A couple of times, I ended up
doing 100's of "yum updates" on specific packages, including the one
time I upgraded from F6.i386 to F9.x86_64.  (I have since used
pre-upgrade to update that system to F11.x86_64.)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx