Re: Saving Flash

Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> So, in essence, what you're telling me is that data can come to one's
> computer with no way to get hold of it. I find it pretty amazing.

I would say it this way..."no simple/easy way to get hold of it".

For example, in data being streamed (but not stored) on your system it
is possible (but not easy) to capture the IP packets and then
reconstruct the data.  Of course you need to know the protocol being
used and how to reassemble the packets.  Then, even if you do that, the
data may have been compressed so you would have to know what compression
algorithm was used to uncompress it (not so hard).  And the data may
have been encrypted with the receiving application being responsible for
decryption.  So, you need to know how to decrypt (not so easy).

That said, I gave you a start for saving those movie clips.  I also can
tell you the key to saving BBC videos is probably an application called
iplayer or get_iplayer.

And it isn't all that amazing at all.  This has been happening for a
long, long time.  Have you ever used vncviewer, run a remote X session?

And think of the simple case of "sftp user@somehost".  There you have a
data stream between 2 systems...with no easy way to capture the data
stream and reconstruct it.