Re: Upgrades driving me crazy....

On 2009-11-11, at 6:45 PM, Clint Dilks wrote:

Fedora is just not a good choice in this situation, we tried running Fedora in this way for a time but it just becomes unmanageable. One short term suggestion I would make is that you maintain your own copies of the repositories that you use and have clients reference those rather than the public mirror so that you have some flexibility as to when you must upgrade.

In the Long Term I suggest that you look at moving to CentOS (still using your own local repos) or some other distro that meets your needs (ubuntu etc). We moved to CentOS and we do occasionally struggle with versions of software. But if you combine creating your own RPMS with some configuration management software such as CFEngine this can be automated.

Thanks a lot for the answer... I think I will start testing out CentOS very shortly. :)