Re: Upgrades driving me crazy....

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 17:35 -0500, Michael Pawlowsky wrote:
> Are there any other people using FC in a production enterprise
> environment?

Yes.

> The constant upgrades are driving me nuts. We have machines at FC8-FC9-
> FC10 and FC-11.

I still have a FC4 server.  It's a pain to keep updating servers, and
it's not accessed by the public, or others who might stupidly stuff it
up, so it's not too much of a risk to me.

Updating several computers, learning about all the changes, working
through all the different problems, several times a year, is quite
draining.  So it's often the case that one gets the latest, and while
playing with it, I'll decide whether to put it on the rest.  Sometimes I
find that it's annoying, so the rest stay on a prior version.  And I
have to deal with remembering all the idiosyncrasies of at least three
different releases of Fedora.

I've considered CentOS, trialled it a few times, and while okay for a
server, it's often too far behind the times for applications, or I'd
have to compile my own.  I still haven't migrated my mail server from
FC4 to CentOS, as trial runs have been terribly slow - hours just to
move a couple of mailboxes (I want to move the old FC4 large mailspool
files into maildir storage, using Dovecot on both computers), and
there's lots of mail to be moved.  I'd estimate days worth of work to
get this done, based on what I've seen.  And it always involved manually
doing it in sections, so I could cope with how it kept on stalling.

> So basically we are in a never ending cycles of upgrades. And since we
> have had bad experiences trying to upgrade over the last version, our
> policy is to back up the data, re-install and put back in all the data.

Similar, here.  Or, data is on a separate partition or drive,
disconnected for an install, then simply remounted.

> Also, I am wondering why it is not possible to simply keep upgrading
> packages, kernel and so on, as opposed to coming up with new versions
> every six months.

Unfortunately, applications have too much dependence on particular
system files for the same application to just work on a new release.
Some things can, but there's so many changes between releases that the
chances are low.

> Is FC simply a bad choice for enterprise production.

For servers, quite likely.  For clients, it depends...