Re: Upgrades driving me crazy....

On 2009-11-11, at 6:33 PM, Ryan Lynch wrote:

I really don't understand something, here. First, you blast Fedora for
its high-speed upgrade treadmill. OK, fair enough--that gets on my
nerves, too, at times.

But then, near the end of your email, you complain that Red Hat/CentOS
lacks the newest updates. Huh? Which is it--do you want the updates,
or not?

-Ryan

I would not call it "Blast". Simply saying it is becoming unmanageable in a production environment of 40 odd servers and wondering what others are doing.

Unfortunately the servers do not have much in common. I was using system images for a while and that worked well.
But creating them for 2-3 machines did not seem worth it anymore.

Again, as I said... I do want the latest packages, as in do a "yum update", just not have to do reinstall from scratch.

I guess there must be too many dependencies to do so that would break others packages.

As well, I have issues where even some paid support software I use (Zmanda) does not even support the latest versions of FC.

So when I upgrade to FC 11, I have to hack away to get Zmanda to start working again.

If it sounds like a rant... It's simply because I am starting to bring all machines to FC 11 and it's a real bitch of a job! :)