Re: Upgrade to2.6.27.37-170.2.104.fc10.i686.PAE Can I get kmod-nvidia to go with it?

Roger-111 wrote:

> I found the repos are dangerous and very difficult to find. Yum could
> not find kmod-nvidia nor akmod-nvidia but locked up until I manually
> removed them from repos.d .They don't or didn't for me provide any
> useful applications and crashed the system.

If you installed the nvidia driver direct from nvidia then you may have
things installed during that process that prevent the packages available
from rpmfusion from working - there was a long thread about this on this
forum a year or two back.

The way to do it is to first as root in a clean system:
rpm -ivh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm

then
rpm -ivh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

This installs the rpmfusion repo files in the right place in /etc/repos.d/

Then check which version of the kmod-nvidia you need - if you are using a
PAE kernel then you need to install kmod-nvdia-PAE if not then you may need
kmod-nvidia on its own.  However you may need the legacy drivers instead in
which case you need kmod-nvidia-173xx etc.  Check your graphics card version
and find which driver you need before you install it.
Then do "yum install kmod-nvidia" or "yum install kmod-nvidia-PAE" etc as
appropriate.

If you don't install the right one then it may well not work properly!

HTH