Re: strange issue with XFCE spin LiveCD

--- On Fri, 10/9/09, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: strange issue with XFCE spin LiveCD
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Friday, October 9, 2009, 2:33 PM
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 06:31:29 -0700
> (PDT)
> Globe Trotter <itsme_410@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> > None of the suggestions in the wiki has worked. Note
> that I can not
> > install F11 (because I can not get in with the
> LiveCD). It comes up
> > "fine", but the button for automatic login is not
> clickable and
> > freezes my machine.
> >
> > Here again are the details for the hardware: should I
> file in
> > bugzilla? Under what component?
> >
> > Dell Precision Workstation T7400 nSeries
>
> ...snip...
>
> > 512MB PCIe x16 ATI Fire GL V7700, Dual Monitor DVI
> capable
>
> You specifically tried these:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs#radeon-misc-gfx

Many of these comments are after installation, not before. These files do not exist at this point. The problem is that the LiveCD freezes the moment the Automatic Login is clicked.

> You can try also booting with:
>
> 'xdriver=vesa' and see if it helps any.

I have tried xdriver=vesa nomodeset as well as kernelmodeset=0 to no avail. The freeze happens irrespective of whether I use the XFCE or (Gnome) F11 LiveCD.

I was able to get an installation done with the LiveCD using textinstall and removing rhgb but I was not given any option on custom layout for partitioning my HDD. Worse, on firstboot, the machine refused to go beyond the timezone selection: froze ten times when the "next" button was clicked.

I wonder if the F10 LiveCD would work!

Best,