Re: talk set up

2009/10/8 David Christopher Chipman <dchipman@xxxxxxxx>:
<--SNIP-->

> Hi Hiisi,
>
> Nobody else has mentioned this, but I would also block the well-known port
> for talk (udp 517)  closed on the gateway machine you have connected to the
> Internet. Assuming the gateway machine is a computer running Linux, you
> would use 'iptables' to do this. That should prevent anyone from accesing
> talk from the Net. Good luck,
>
> -David
>
> PS: The others are right about it's security issues, bu if nobody can access
> it from the Net, that shouldn't be a problem, for your LAN.

Both machines are in local network and connected to the WEB via it.
They are inaccessible from the outer World. If I want to ssh to my
system from the outside of the building I have to order  'static IP'
for additional $5 per m. So, David, thank you for the tip but I'm
doubt whether I actually need to block udp 517. Am I right here?

--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.