Re: talk set up

Hiisi wrote:
Dear list!
I want to communicate in my small network using talk. Namely, I would
like to establish conversation between ubuntu machine and my F11. How
to manage that? Google doesn't provide to much information about the
question. I suppose so it is because talk is an ancient program.
Whenever I try talk user@ubuntu I get: '─[ Error on read from talk
daemon: Connection refused. Press any key... ]' and then message
'[Checking for invitation on caller's machine]' appears which will
never disappear. And exactly the same situation on ubuntu machine.
Could anybody from Geek's help me? Thanks in advance!

talk is an ancient thing and I highly recommend you don't use it, for
the same reasons you shouldn't user telnet or any other unencrypted
communications.

If you must, you have to install the talk-server RPM, make sure that
the talkd daemon is set to run or have xinetd start it for you and
have UDP port 517 open in the firewall on both machines.