Re: Fwd: Re: Understanding Local Networking - Thanks, so far....

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 21:14 +0200, DB wrote:
> As there are so many "things" automatically installed in/by Fedora, I
> just sort of assumed that when I set a local hostname & then let NM do
> its stuff, that 'magically' the IP address & the hostname would be
> linked together "somewhere in a (cyber-)galaxy far, far away"....
> Wrong!!!!

I think that *during* the install process, a hostname may be written to
your /etc/hosts file putting your machine name in at that time, but I
don't think the file will be managed for you post-installation.

> I now see that there are all sorts of doodads involved & from my quick
> read of various articles & how-tos , there doesn't appear to be a
> script/wizard to set all of them up properly.

It's a fair assumption that if a DHCP server has given you address, then
there ought to be a fully working remote address assignment that the
DHCP-supplied DNS servers can answer queries about.  And if you're doing
manual addressing, that you'll set all the right things yourself.

My system has a local DHCP + DNS server, and things just work.  The
clients don't need any manual address configuration.

> To try & answer your point about what am I trying to do.... As I said
> in the original thread, I have a desktop & a laptop, both running F11,
> plus my wife's XP machine; all cable connected via a D-Link box to the
> ISP's box.  I'd like to be able to keep the "Home" partition of the
> F11 machines in sync, so that when I go travelling I know that the
> lappy has an up-to-date- copy of everything I've been messing with.
> Up till now I've used Stick-net to copy over the things I remember.
> Then there are the external drives attached to the Desktop & the
> printer, which I'd like to access from all 3 machines - "Her Indoors"
> expects to have her photos etc. printed "instantly, if not
> faster"......  From the descriptions, Samba seemed like the way to
> go....

If you need file access over Windows and Linux, then Samba is the usual
solution.  If the file access is only between Linux boxes, then NFS is
the usual solution.  SMB/CIFS (the protocols Samba uses) can be cranky
on Windows, where name resolution isn't working, and when machines join
the network (they have an election for who gets to be top dog, and it
seems to be done like a dog fight - bloody with a slow recovery period).

Samba can also be used for printing, but I never got that to work.  I
just used IPP directly between print server and remote boxes (Internet
Printing Protocol using HTTP).  Windows could print to a CUPS server,
that way, either by sending it PostScript to print, or pre-rendered data
for that model printer using a local driver and a raw queue on the CUPS
server (one that passes on pre-rendered data, rather than tries to
render PostScript to the printer's native language).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.