Re: Fwd: Re: Understanding Local Networking - Thanks, so far....

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 18:54 +0200, DB wrote:
> 4) I'm not able to put my "host name" in any of these commands, only
> the IP address - it seems that somewhere along the line DNS ain't
> doin' what I thought it ought to!

What did you think it should do, and how did you expect it to work?

A DNS server relates numerical IP addresses and named addresses
together.  It has a database that's either programmed into it, or it
queries something else for its answers, it doesn't magically get the
answer.  On a home LAN, either you might preset some local records, or
you might have a DHCP server that sets records into a DNS server.

You can put /etc/hosts files onto each computer on your LAN, writing
names and addresses into it, and that'll work fine for most things.

Your "networking" query seems more to do with Windows networking (SMB)
than just networking.  There's a /etc/samba/lmhosts that can be used for
name resolution for Windows networking.  Windows can also broadcast
queries, just hoping that the right box will respond.  I don't know if
Samba on Linux supports working that way (it's not a good way to run a
network, by the way).

Using those two hosts and lmhosts files is only going to work if your
computers always use the same IP addresses.  If you have a LAN where IPs
get randomly assigned, you'll have to keep changing your hosts and
lmhosts files.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686