Fwd: Re: Understanding Local Networking - Thanks, so far....

Hi All,

Thanks first off for the help & suggestions!

1) So far, by enabling nmb & smb services, I've been able to see my work-group & its machines with smb4k, I can also see the first level of shared directories & printers. (Would be nice if, after installing Samba, that whenever I start Samba or one of its bits, 'IT' would check the state of the services & either start them as necessary or give me a message to do so... No, I've zilch idea how to do something like that!)

BUT (there's always a 'but'!), if I click on the top level directory, expecting it to open up like Pandora's Box, all I get is a message "The share xxx could not be mounted" & in the details box

mount error(1): Operation not permitted

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Tried using mount.cifs to mount the local top directory & all I get is one directory from the next layer, which is also not openable.....

Using smbclient, I've been able to copy single files from one machine to the other!!!

2) Tried the fish in konqueror, that throws up in either direction that the other machine is refusing the connection:

"The server xxx refused to allow this computer to make a connection"
As far as I can understand..... using KDE Desktop Sharing, I've allowed anything that seems useful......

3) Found nmap & installed it to find out what ports I had on each machine, results;

111/tcp open rpcbind
| rpcinfo:
| 100000 2,3,4 111/udp rpcbind
| 100024 1 53843/udp status
| 100000 2,3,4 111/tcp rpcbind
|_ 100024 1 59421/tcp status
139/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (work-group: LXP)
445/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (work-group: LXP)
5900/tcp open vnc VNC (protocol 3.8)

(At the time nmap runs, I see a "Someone is requesting access" message from Desktop Sharing on the remote machine.)

4) I'm not able to put my "host name" in any of these commands, only the IP address - it seems that somewhere along the line DNS ain't doin' what I thought it ought to!

5) From the desktop sharing, I can generate new invitations & I've just managed to connect! What a trip round the houses! BUT (again!) all I get on the invited computer is the screen of the inviter - that actually is not readable - I might almost think I'd been on the beer all day!!! I'm guessing that to be able to change what's on the screen, the inviter needs to allow the invitee to use mouse & keyboard???? And I'm suspecting I will not be able to copy files from one to the other through this shared desktop?????

6) Tried to check man fuse-smb, nothing there till I installed fuse-smb. Not yet sure how/whether this will help me.

7) Checked /var/log/messages & var/log/samba - empty!

Again, thanks to all for your help! If anyone can point me in some new directions, I'll be most grateful!