Re: Automatic page numbering in OpenOffice

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 08:54 +0500, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I wished I could find a book/web page with only lists of commands to
> achieve effect X, like I provided here:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-September/msg00891.html

The problem with these sort of recipes, quoting part of yours below, is
they fall apart when the user-interface changes (as so often happens
with courses for learning Word - the user's version is so different from
the classroom's version that the student can't repeat what they've
learnt), or when you omit something crucial.  You can over-simplify
things to the point where they're no use, or just plain wrong.

  Open a new document

  F11
  Standard
  4th icon
  Right click Standard
  Modify
  Enable footer
  OK

There is no "Standard" in the dialogue when I press the F11 key.  And
your recipe doesn't say, "Press F11 to bring up the 'style and
formatting list.'"   Which means I can't do the same thing some other
way (e.g. find the same option in a menu), intuitively, because I don't
know why I'm pressing F11.  I can only follow a set of rules that might
not be applicable.  And since I see no "standard" in that dialogue, I
wonder whether you're instructions are completely wrong, and I shouldn't
be pressing F11.

I'll presume that I should click on the fourth icon, but you don't say,
and you haven't mentioned that the fourth icon is for *page* styling.
And, again, there's no "standard" anywhere to be seen in that list.

I really don't know what you're trying to do with your instructions, as
they don't work on the version of OpenOffice.org that comes with Fedora
11, as you've written them.

--

The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.