Re: F11: UTF-8 Locale issue

On 09/13/09 19:49, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> Two things spring to mind:
>>>
>>> As I said to Anne, perhaps the installation option only sets
>>> settings pertaining to doing the installation, not what happens
>>> with the new system.
>>>
>>> Have you, now, changed the defaults, and did it work?
>>>

>> Please bear with me if I seem dense. What do you mean by if I have

>> What is the defaults? How can I tell.
>>
> The system wide default is held in /etc/sysconfig/i18n and seems to be
> en_US.UTF-8.....
>
>> I already said that when I first started system.config.language that
>> the "default" was set to Afrikaan or at least this item was
>> highlighted, assumed that this "default" is wrong and proceeded to
>> change this item to: "English (USA)", and closed the program.
>>
>> Did it work?
>>
>> I am still seeing the following in the system logs:
>>
>> Sep 13 08:46:14 <hostname> ntfs-3g[7707]: Could not convert filename
>> to Unicode: 'Clavier-B�chlein F�r Anna Maguire': Invalid or
>> incomplete multibyte or wide character
>>
>> I do not see this sort of error message in F9, using the same exact
>> filesystem drive/partition. I compared F9 & F11 /etc/sysconfig/i18n
>> as follows:
>>
>> In F9: LANG="en_US.utf8" SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
>>
>> In F11: # LANG=C considerably speeds up boot (measured 5sec) --
>> bernie LANG="en_US.UTF-8" SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
>>
>> They are pretty much same except for that weird commented out LANG=C
>> line, for which I never put there.
>>
>> It is possible that the system log message is not a "locale" issue
>> and points to something else, I dunno...
>>

> However....you've said that:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=C
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_PAPER="C"
> LC_NAME="C"
> LC_ADDRESS="C"
> LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> LC_ALL=
>
> Clearly a LANG=C will get you the problems with multi-byte characters.....
>
> So, yes, you need to track down why/how your LANG is getting set as it
> is.....  I can't think of how that would happen....
>
> But, I would probably delete that commented out line from
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n just to make sure something weird isn't going on
> with that line. If you didn't put it there...it begs the
> question "who did"? Who is bernie?
>
> You may even consider booting into run level 3 and then seeing if your
> environment is LANG=C before running "startx".

I deleted the strange line.
Rebooted, and no change

I added to /etc/sysconf/i18n:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

rebooted to single user mode:

$ locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

^D to continue the reset of the runlevels,

Logged into gdm, opened a terminal window
and:

$ locale

LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

So it appears that logging in as a user,
it preempts the system-wide locale
settings.

I checked bash profiles and I did find these:

/etc/profile.d/lang.{sh|csh}

If you run these in the terminal window,
it looks to locate the $HOME/.i18n file,
and if not there, sets the default to
LANG="C"

$ sh -x /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
+ sourced=0
+ '[' -n C ']'
+ saved_lang=C
+ '[' -f /home/dant/.i18n ']'
+ LANG=C   <<<<<<<<<<<============
+ unset saved_lang
+ '[' 0 = 1 ']'
+ unset sourced
+ unset langfile

WTH?  What is going on here?

Why are these scripts there to enforce that
the default be LANG="C" when a user logs
in?

Does anyone have the above two files installed
in the profile.d directory?  It is possible that I
had installed some kind of package that threw
these files in?

Hrrrmmmm!