Re: KDE clock settings

Ed Greshko wrote:
Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
2009/9/2 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 20:36 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
So, when you installed Fedora, did you carefully uncheck that little
box that says "System Clock uses UTC"? Windows does not really
understand UTC or handle it very well. The solution is to go to the
System --> Administration --> Date and Time application, click the
Time Zone
tab, uncheck the Clock Uses UTC box, click OK, reboot the machine,
go into your BIOS and set the hardware clock correctly if need be. That
should fix things.
Anyone know how to accomplish this under KDE? The "Clock uses UTC" box
doesn't seem to exist in the KDE universe (under System Settings->Date
and Time.)
The little box is in the install dialog.

So, is your solution that a reinstall should be done to fix this
problem?  :-)
Setting "System Clock uses UTC" converts to this in /etc/sysconfig/clock:

UTC=true

So the answer is edit /etc/sysconfig/clock as root, change that to
false, reboot and get on with the rest of your life.

Of course....if you read the thread you'd see that I'd already provided
a solution... :-)
I'm not certain who you are directing the "get on with the rest of your
life" comment....but don't you think suggesting that the solution lies
within the installation dialog just a tag bit of overkill?

He said he couldn't find the check box mentioned by a previous poster, I told him where it was. Why is that overkill? Should I leave him wasting his time looking in KDE stuff?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>