Re: home/$user directory files

On 09/11/2009 04:15 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 11 September 2009 01:34:20 andy york wrote:

I cannot see contents of home/user  search hangs... any ideas on how
to fix? Can however go to subdirectories using Places/Bookmarks.
Search doesn't work either.

So when did this start?  Is it a new install?  It sounds to me as though you
no longer own that directory tree.  Can you, in a konsole, run

ls -l /home/youruser ?

If so, paste a couple of lines from it here.

Anne

I have had similar (or the same) problem recently and was able to track it down to the ~/.gvfs directory.  After I was able to delete the .gvfs directory, my problem went away.  The ~/.gvfs directory has recreated itself and I still see the hang but the hang is not every time.  Unfortunately, I forget exactly what I did to remove the ~/.gvfs; I think I ended up uninstalling gvfs, deleted the directory and reinstalled gvfs.

To find the problem directory, I opened up a command window and performed variations on "ls a*".  All "ls" commands that did not include .gvfs completed fine while those that did hung.

--
  Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy stories tell children that dragons can be killed."
     -- G.K. Chesterton