Re: Where is pulseaudio started?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:12:39 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 10:12 -0400, Steve Blackwell wrote:
> > I'd like to know where (which file) the information is
> > stored in and what program starts it. gdm? gnome? gconf?
>
> A hint for finding out things like that:  Change a setting, and search
> for a very recently changed file.

Interesting.
I had already found a directory called ~/.config/autostart but
there was no hint of anything pulseaudio related in there. Then I
followed your suggestion and disabled its autostart and searched for
recently changed files. Now there is a file called
~/.config/pulseaudio.desktop. That is backward to what I would have
expected and if I enable pulseaudio again, the file is removed.

The pulseaudio.desktop file contains this:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=PulseAudio Sound System
Comment=Start the PulseAudio Sound System
Exec=start-pulseaudio-x11
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=
GenericName=
Name[en_US]=PulseAudio Sound System
Comment[en_US]=Start the PulseAudio Sound System
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false

/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 is a script:
<comments snipped>
set -e

# Exit without running pulseaudio daemon if this is a remote desktop
session [ -n "$PULSE_SERVER" ] && exit 0

/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start "$@"

if [ x"$DISPLAY" != x ] ; then

    /usr/bin/pactl load-module module-x11-publish "display=$DISPLAY"
    > /dev/null

    if [ x"$SESSION_MANAGER" != x ] ; then
	/usr/bin/pactl load-module module-x11-xsmp "display=$DISPLAY
    session_manager=$SESSION_MANAGER" > /dev/null fi
fi

So my remaining questions are what reads the pulseaudio.desktop file
and how does pulseaudio get started if it does not exist.

Steve