Re: Discussion -- perhaps a trollette -- re: upgrades !

Tim wrote:
Tim:

I'd imagine that some of /those/ places would run dual computers in
control, and one would automatically fallover to the other.  You'd
need that sort of redundancy so that you could perform repairs.

Mikkel L. Ellertson:

I don't know about other countries, but in the U.S., they not only
have backup computers, but they have backup control rooms for
reactors. (In case something happens to the main one, or its control
links.) They even have duplicate control runs that take different
routes.

You'd hope they all worked that way...

I've only been inside conventional power stations, one coal/gas fired
station in Australia, and another in Britain (that I can't remember how
it was fueled).  They were certainly memorable occasions.  I've never
been in any other places that literally hummed like they did.  The noise
in the air, the building vibrating, you could even feel the outside
ground humming below your feet.  There's a rumble that permeates
everything, even the extremely sound-isolated control rooms.  Though the
one thing that sticks most in my mind, is that the engineering behind
them is just awesome.

The generators at Niagara Falls, Ontario are quite impressive. The first plant was designed by Nikola Tesla and was very famous as it was "The first great victory of Tesla's Alternating Current Electricity over Thomas Edison's Direct Current." Being near them is almost frightening just from the sheer size of the machinery and noise of 1200 cubic meters (over 42,000 cubic feet) per second of water driving it all. As this is providing 1/4 of all power used in the Province of  Ontario and New York State, backup systems for everything are integral to the design.

I hope they don't use Windows :)

--

Paul